Sunday, November 2, 2008

Difflugia Spotted 10/30/08

My last observation of the Microaquarium was quite different than my most recent observation. The life inside the enviroment has changed quite dramatically because the size and number of organisms has greatly increased. The dramatic change of the enviroment can be atrributed to the addition of protein to the enviroment causing a dramatic increase of the supply of available food. The increase of food has caused many organisms to increase in size because they are able to eat and to increase in number for the same reason. New organisms have appeared and one organism in particular that caught my eye is one called a difflugia. The difflugia has an appearance of a snail and I correctly identified it from the poster Pond II Larger Microlife (Gordon Peachey 1998). The difflugia is an amoeba and is interesting because it has shell and I also witnessed this organism consuming others with its appendages. I correctly identified this organisms features from The Liveng Freshwater Protozoa: A Color Guide by D.J. Patterson of The University of Bristol.

No comments: